Monday, June 2, 2008

Giving

My heart tugged a little as I walked past two young men on the street. My son was cranky, so while we waited for our food at a nearby restaurant, we had taken a walk outside. I was reminded that just as I held my little boy in my arms, their mothers had done the same, and how my heart would break if my son was ever in the same situation. I had no money to give them, so I just smiled as I walked past.

After dinner, I came out of the restaurant stuffed to the gills carrying a box of leftover food. I saw one of the young men digging through the garbage across the street. I immediately knew I couldn't possibly bring extra food home when he was unable to get a decent meal. As I gave him the styrofoam box I felt humbled that God had allowed me to serve in this way. Such a simple thing, not even a sacrifice, yet He used me for good.

No comments: