Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Me and the Old Guys

I've always had a thing for elderly men. Now, before your little mind goes in the gutter let me clarify. I think they are sweet and wise and honest, and most have seen enough of this life to have let go of the silly concerns that keep most of us from saying what we mean. In other words, they can be a little crass, but they get away with it. I love that.

I was at a meeting last night with a few older gentlemen and one was particularly friendly to me. When it was time for the meal he said, "I'm gonna sit by this pretty young lady!" (meaning me, people, catch up) and I was flattered. Then he said, "I like to look at the ladies and at 75 that's about all I can do - look."

I wasn't sure what to do with that. Maybe as a woman I should be offended, or at the very least a little uncomfortable, but all I could do was giggle. That charmer.

1 comment:

The Super Bongo said...

I like to recognize it as a generational thing. They mean no harm . . . and frankly they'd be horrified if anyone took them seriously. Plus, being nice to old people is good karma.